Boxed app uses 100% CPU if Register as ActiveX is selected

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
mikelspikel

Boxed app uses 100% CPU if Register as ActiveX is selected

Post by mikelspikel »

Hi,

I'm trying to create my first boxed application using Virtual Box and I'm having issues when I try to include into the package a DLL that needs to be registered as ActiveX. If I check the option Register as ActiveX, the boxed exe that is created uses the 100% of the CPU when is run (or of a single core in multicore machines) and the boxed executable is never shown. I'm using version 10.70.

Any idea about the reason of this behavior?

Thanks!
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Boxed app uses 100% CPU if Register as ActiveX is selected

Post by Enigma »

Hi, the first thing you should try - enable Registry virtualization. ActiveX registration requires either administrator privileges, either enabling virtual registry in order to write registry values to protected area.

Please try this first, then let me know about results and we can move forward.
mikelspikel

Post by mikelspikel »

Hi,

Yes, the Registry virtualization is enabled. In fact, with version 10.50, the components get registered and the CPU problem is not present. It seems to start happening in version 10.60.

But in version 10.50 I'm facing another problem: ActiveX components developed with VC++ 2017 don't register at all during boxed app start. I have tried to register these same components using regsvr32 and they do work.

So summarizing:
Version 10.50: Some components are correctly registered (mswinsck.ocx for example) but ActiveX controls or COM classes developed in VC++ 2017 don't. Boxed applications run fine (no 100% CPU usage) except for the VC++ 2017 issue.
Version 1.70: Boxed application hangs during startup using 100% of CPU if register ActiveX is checked on any file.

In both cases registry virtualization is enabled.

Thank you!
mikelspikel

Post by mikelspikel »

mikelspikel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:17 pm But in version 10.50 I'm facing another problem: ActiveX components developed with VC++ 2017 don't register at all during boxed app start. I have tried to register these same components using regsvr32 and they do work.
This only happens when the components are compiled using Unicode character set. If Multi-Byte is used, componentes do register successfully.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Can you please send us non packed sample, with all necessary files to reproduce the problem at support@enigmaprotector.com, we will check it out?

Without testing, it is difficult to say what could be wrong.
mikelspikel

Post by mikelspikel »

Sample sent. Thank you!
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

OK, got it, I will let you know when test it out.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Can you please also send me your .evb project file? Looks like we can't reproduce the issue without it..
mikelspikel

Post by mikelspikel »

Done. Thanks!
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Thank you for pointing for such problem. The issue came from our last version update.
We have sent you a fixed version on email.

Official new version will also come soon.