Protecting an .exe with config file

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
DTang

Protecting an .exe with config file

Post by DTang »

Hi,

I would like to use Enigma Protector to protect an .exe that requires a config file in the same directory for the .exe to work. I tried using the demo version to achieve this by:

1) Putting input file as original .exe
2) Putting config file under 'Advanced Input'

Note that the original .exe has been compressed and encrypted, which requires the config.data file to unlock it (executed with config in same directory).

Happy to make a purchase, but want to ensure this is achiveable with Enigma Protector.

Many thanks!
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Protecting an .exe with config file

Post by Enigma »

Hi, please do not use Advanced Input panel, it has a different meaning in your case.

For protection of your files, you need simply select the .exe file to protect and add the config file into Virtual Box - Files, in to %DEFAULT FOLDER%.

This should work.
DTang

Post by DTang »

Thank you for your reply! That is what I did and it works. However, the config file is still visible and can be extracted while the .exe is running (I checked 'Deleted Extracted Files on Exit' so it doesnt stay after the .exe closes). Any way to use the protector and work around this?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

DTang wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:28 pm Thank you for your reply! That is what I did and it works. However, the config file is still visible and can be extracted while the .exe is running (I checked 'Deleted Extracted Files on Exit' so it doesnt stay after the .exe closes). Any way to use the protector and work around this?
When you added files to Virtual Box you can remove embedded files from the disk. If file properties are set to "Never write to disk", these files never extracted to disk and are being emulated in memory by protection.
Please make sure you have the options I described. Remove file from the disk. Confirm that it does not appear anymore.
DTang

Post by DTang »

I tried that and the protected .exe doesn't run. The .exe interacts with the config file while running and writes/update the config file. Currently I am just setting the config file as hidden, as well as delete on exit, but it really isn't the best form of protection.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Protection does not extract the file with the options I provided. Are you protecting a game? Are you sure there is no any other process that creates a config file, like a launcher?
Maybe you can send us this application at support@enigmaprotector.com, so we can test it out?