Programs may hang on the system OpenFile dialog

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Psycho-A

Programs may hang on the system OpenFile dialog

Post by Psycho-A »

Some programs, especially those written in C++, may freeze when the file opening system dialog is called. Especially if part of the program's shared folders are virtualized, and some are just searched locally on disks. Moreover, hanging generates some kind of endless loop in the CPU, which is why the system may deadly freeze after ~5-10 seconds. Moreover, I observe this only on Windows 7 (x64). On Windows 10, the same dialogs work correctly. The phenomenon occurs randomly - that is, it freezes once, not the other time, under the same conditions. But if the hang is already noticed, then it occurs in 70-80% cases.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to show an example, because the software under test is a part of a package of tools for game developers (SDK), and requires additional actions and software to work.
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Programs may hang on the system OpenFile dialog

Post by Enigma »

Can you please confirm that this happens even with the recent version of EVB 10.80?

In this version we have many improvements that belong to exactly this problem, and never face it anymore.
Psycho-A

Post by Psycho-A »

Enigma wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:43 am Can you please confirm that this happens even with the recent version of EVB 10.80?

In this version we have many improvements that belong to exactly this problem, and never face it anymore.
Yes, I used only latest version during last month, but sadly I didn't noticed changes :(
I also found that the probability of freezing is close to 100% if we enable Registry virtualization in such problematic program. Then it's always hang as only we're trying to click "Open" menu item. Also, such programs often crash on close (especially if they have bundle packages) - which, of course, not noticed in the unboxed original.

Btw, it's simplier to get an example, so I can prepare it for you if needed (just say me where to send if support@enigmaprotector.com is not correct, as I already sent the example and it's sources there).
Psycho-A

Post by Psycho-A »

Is there any news regarding the sample files I sent to Support?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi, sorry for the delay in reply, we have received an email, files are in a queue to check.
Psycho-A

Post by Psycho-A »

Enigma wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:00 pm Hi, sorry for the delay in reply, we have received an email, files are in a queue to check.
Thank you! Here's another example (the program is free), where hanging on file-open dialog occurs: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/KKcAEDpX5nMbHQ

I noticed that the hang can sometimes be very cruel - the Windows stops responding at all (even to Ctrl+Alt+Del) with CPU at 100%, and only a reboot helps. I even lost some data because disk requests stop at this time too. And this issue is totally random, because no any visible rules or regularity :( Looks like some "race condition"...