Digitally signing boxed executable not possible

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Digitally signing boxed executable not possible

Post by Enigma »

We will be trying to test the signtool soon, I will let you know about results.

Regarding Enigma Protector, have you tried, files produced by it can be signed without problems?

About Win8 problem, there had been noticed that some application that use ShellExecute function (applications that run other exe files) had problems running on a preview version of Windows 8, on the official Win8 there were no problems.
Due to specifics of .net files, there are few "limitations" protecting them with Enigma Protector:
1. keep name of output protected file same as name of unprotected one, rename the file from "MyAPP_protected.exe" to "MyAPP.exe"
2. Generate a XML serializer dll that can be then embeded into Virtual Box feature: http://forum.enigmaprotector.com/viewto ... 564&p=9141

Try my suggestions and let me know if the problem will still exist. Btw, we are open to test your file on Win8 and solve the problem if we reproduce it. You may send us non protected test files at support@enigmaprotector.com and we will let you know what problem appears there,
bensam56

Post by bensam56 »

Yes tried with Enigma Protector but same.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

We have tested signtool for a few random files, all files had been signed well, without problem.

Can you please let me know the size of the file you are trying to sign? How large is it?
bensam56

Post by bensam56 »

the size of the packed exe file 12.5 MB
bensam56

Post by bensam56 »

bensam56 wrote:the size of the packed exe file 12.5 MB
Update: I able to sign the exe successfully now. The problem was Windows is not able to verify the digital certificate. I fixed that problem and tried to sign the exe, its passed. :D

P.s: Can someone able to extract the packed exe? I want to add some sensitive dll files as virtual along with the main exe. So its possible to extract the files from the packed one? If yes! then any other way to overcome this issue?
Unc3nZureD

Post by Unc3nZureD »

Yes, it's quite easy to unpack files with some knowledge.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

bensam56 wrote:Update: I able to sign the exe successfully now. The problem was Windows is not able to verify the digital certificate. I fixed that problem and tried to sign the exe, its passed.
Hm, interesting detail, thanks you very much. We have also made a numerous tests with signing of different files and we passed all the tests successfully.
bensam56 wrote:P.s: Can someone able to extract the packed exe? I want to add some sensitive dll files as virtual along with the main exe. So its possible to extract the files from the packed one? If yes! then any other way to overcome this issue?
Virtual files are located in the exe file as they are, without encryption and so. Files compression hides them a little. But the main idea of Enigma Virtual Box - keep all files transparent. Protection can be made only with Enigma Protector and it's feature - Virtual Box.