Hardware lock - allow changes

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
speedyorange

Hardware lock - allow changes

Post by speedyorange »

I understand that some of the hardware lock individual devices might come back different if the user runs the program as just a user and then runs the program as an administrator. If the user runs it alternately as a user, then an administrator, and then a user, does that count as 1 change under 'allow hardware changes' or as 2?

Also, can the hardware id generated by EP_RegHardwareID come out different depending on whether the program was run as a normal user and then run as the administrator? Could a problem occur because a registration key was generated using a hardware id generated when the program was run as an administrator and then the registration key is entered into a program being run in user mode? Could the program then think it has been given an invalid key that is locked to some other computer?
scorillo7

Re: Hardware lock - allow changes

Post by scorillo7 »

I think the HWID will not change based on user,this HWID is generated based on components,serial of OS,etc.
"Allow change" options it allow on user to change motherboard(for example) once, if that component is broken without change the serial on customer.
to understand better how it's work this:
Let's say this case,in project you have enabled under hardware lock only the CPU type,Motherboard and Hard Disk serial.OK?
will assume that change value are 1 for every that 3 options.
Enigma will form the HWID from pieces
motherboard=value_1 (one changes)
cpu type=value_2 (one changes)
HDD serial=value_3 (one changes)
this all 3 values are combined to give you the final hwid.
if the motherboard will broken for some reason the user will change that component.When will start you're protected software
the enigma will see(and understand) changes like this:
cpu type=value_2
HDD serial=value_3
motherboard=new_value(oooops, that changed)
,instead will see same value of other 2 component and will assume that is the same copy.
I assume that enigma decrement 1 on that option to not allow any changes further on that component.
i do not know if HWID will change(beyond scope of my answer)
speedyorange

Post by speedyorange »

I see scorillo7, but what if every one of the values below change? Since each one of them allows 1 change, it would appear they could work on a whole new computer. If the HDD serial is changed anyways, that would imply that any secret files that enigma had stored the count of changes in would be lost in the installation of the new hard drive, so it would be reset.

If I give 1 allowed change to all the locks, does that mean that they are allowed 1 change between all of them? If 2 out of the 3 below changed, would the registration key then fail, or would it still pass?

scorillo7

Post by scorillo7 »

speedyorange wrote:I see scorillo7, but what if every one of the values below change? Since each one of them allows 1 change, it would appear they could work on a whole new computer. If the HDD serial is changed anyways, that would imply that any secret files that enigma had stored the count of changes in would be lost in the installation of the new hard drive, so it would be reset.

If I give 1 allowed change to all the locks, does that mean that they are allowed 1 change between all of them? If 2 out of the 3 below changed, would the registration key then fail, or would it still pass?

I do not know and i do not want to know because this must remain a proprietary secret.Somehow i imagine it uses a constant,but is very hard to me to believe that all component will fail at a given time.So do not worry.
If Enigma will fail on a customer which change all 3 component will send an email and human logic will occur(you're logic).
How many user's do you think you will have with same problem?Maybe 1,2,not more,it is mathematical statistics.
speedyorange

Post by speedyorange »

I'm not asking for any proprietary secret, it's just that that secret has to be written on the HDD somewhere so that when the users HDD crashes and has to be replaced, most likely that info will be lost, so therefore the allow 1 change on the HDD serial below would be ineffective anyways because when the protected program starts up and asks for the entry of the reg key, it will think it is a 'virgin' on the computer and will want an exact match with the original HDD serial encoded in the registration key (enigma mentioned that in another post). So therefore the original reg key will fail on the same computer with a new hard drive and I would get an email from user!

HDD serial (1 changes)
scorillo7

Post by scorillo7 »

Speedy, you missing the point of "allow change " feature .
This option is for users which change a component not entire list of hardware.
Let's suppose the HDD is broken,normal Enigma will not work on new computer with given serial,but as developer i can send a tool to that user to see if other component are right ones and if they lie i reset the serial because TOS infringments.
I have software selled and none come with problem you described,none.If this will occur i know what to do,this is not a normal problem it is pushed to the limit of reason.