bugs

Post here messages if you have any problems with working of Enigma Protector
vvd

bugs

Post by vvd »

Hi, I've got some bugs in enigma protector. I use the latest version (enigma_1.93_20100310_en.exe)

1. Enigma protector / SETTINGS / Output. If not to set the path then the program saves protected file to "/Documents and Settings/<my account name>/" folder. I have not noticed such behaviour in previous versions of protector.

2. Enigma protector / REGISTRATION FEATURES / Common. First time I created my project Enigma created [*]Encryption constant[/*], [*]Private key[/*] and [*]Public key[/*]. It did not let me change any of them. Are they the same for all projects?! If no [that should be so!] then how are they all generated? What if to add a button to the form that disables after the first protection that lets user [programmer] create different values? That should probably seriously strengthen the keys and the seed.

3. Enigma protector / PROTECTION FEATURES / Protected strings. There is no checkbox if to use the feature. After I have entered one string it did not show that the feature is active in the left menu as it does with other features. When the program does protection I did not mention if it found any occurrence of my string? How can I check if there is any string in the protected module and that Enigma finds it and protects?

4. Enigma protector / Obfuscation. It works strangely for my programme while it uses no hacks at all and is written almost in pure C++. Here are some lines from protection log: ..."Detect compiler: Borland C++" [correct], ... "Process Entry point", "EP Obfuscation has stopped... Can't process instruction: 66 62 3A 43 2B", "- number of emulated instructions: 1 instructions".
Probably obfuscation did not succeed. What to do? Also there was no was to copy any log strings into clipboard so I had to type it in here :) If log was done using something like classical memo then it would be very easy to bugreport you.

5. Enigma protector / VIRTUAL MACHINE. After my module has been recompiled I had to type in functions to protect again. The process takes time 'cause my module is huge and map-file is large. So it disturbs to be done again each time my programme changes. I understand why it happens so - function addresses change so Enigma does not find them. As a solution Enigma could remember protected functions by names (not by addresses).

6. Enigma Mailer. Russian mail fails :) To make it work you should send mail setting encoding header to windows-1251. This trick should work.

7. Enigma Mailer. When I try to save email template it lets me choose the folder and file and goes to "My documents" by default. When I try to choose any path like "C:" or "D:/my/path/" it does exception.

Woof! Done :) waiting for your answer,

Yours sincerely,
Vladimir Dyakov
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: bugs

Post by Enigma »

Hi Vladimir, thanks you for useful comments, let me to reply now:

1. Enigma protector / SETTINGS / Output
Surely, this is correct. Enigma saves not exactly to the "/Documents and Settings/<my account name>/" but to the current folder. For example, if output does not contain any path, just file name, and you've opened project file from "d:\MyFolder" (that means "d:\MyFolder" becomes a current folder) then protected output will be saved exactly to this path!

2. Enigma protector / REGISTRATION FEATURES / Common.
Everything is also correct. Of course these constants are different for different projects. They are being generated when you click on File->New Project. Why there is impossible to modify it? Because PublicKey and PrivateKey are not just a set of random characters, it is interconnected big primary numbers. It is just impossible to set own strings there. But, you can modify it. For example, if want to keep all registration settings from another project, you may open original project file in notepad (it is just xml file) and replace RegistrationFeatures-Constants branch.

3. Enigma protector / PROTECTION FEATURES / Protected strings.
It is working well too. There is no need to make a checkbox for this feature. You have little misunderstanding of this function. It does not find and replace strings in input file. You may set up strings and get them by calling of Enigma API EP_ProtectedStringByID or EP_ProtectedStringByKey. The purpose of this feature is to hide strings, protected strings are hidden in memory, they are decrypting only once application requires it. So, if cracker will attempt to unpack protected file, probably unpacking succeeds, but all protected strings will be missed from file, and the file will not work properly.

4. Enigma protector / Obfuscation.
Yeah, this function becomes ancient. There is no any problem with protection, Entry Point had been obfuscated/processed well, Enigma just let know that obfuscation had been stopped once the set of bytes appeared there. Initially this was made for my purpose only, soon we remake this option and eliminate these warnings.
Regarding copying log - ok, no problems, will do that!

5. Enigma protector / VIRTUAL MACHINE.
I agree with you. Enigma reads VM functions by address, not by name. After re-compiling, all addresses become invalid. Agree. There is little difference with this feature. For C++ developer there is no problems, because there is no functions with duplicated names but different addresses in map file, but for Delphi developers it could be a deal. Delphi's map file may contain many functions with same names. If Enigma will try to read functions by name, it may read incorrect function (for example it may read first occurring of X function, but the second X had been selected). The idea how to solve this was a feature that allows to select how to read functions, by name or by address. This issue is also in our todo list!

6. Enigma Mailer.
Ok, will test it out :)

7. Enigma Mailer.
Agree, this is a bug of Virtual Box. I knew about this few days ago and now trying to solved this, I hope soon we will solve this. Problem appears seems only on Windows XP when Open/Save dialog are trying open root of disk C:

Regards
Vladimir
vvd

Post by vvd »

thanks
vvd

Post by vvd »

by the way, to make correct emails you should do 2 things:
1) add encoding header as I have mentioned in previous post; this will make email body show correctly
but this does not fix email subject, so
2) you should encode subject correctly: a) add encoding right into the subject and b) encode subject symbols in base64
Not encoded subject with your name would be Владимир; encoded will be: =?KOI8-R?B?98zBxMnNydI=?=
The first symbols are the format ones (=?KOI8-R?B?), the others are encoded name.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

I understand Vladimir! Once we complete issue with Virtual Box that cause crash of open/save dialogs, then will make issue with Mailer.

Since 1.90 we are migrating to full unicode support, seems this feature had been missed from our review!

Постараемся сделать как можно быстрее :)

Regards
Vladimir
vvd

Post by vvd »

Спасибо ;) а я так просто написал про кодировки, вдруг поможет (просто я когда-то работал админом и потратил время, чтобы изучить, подумал, вам это время сэкономит реально)
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Vladimir, #7 is solved from this list, download 1.95 from control panel! #6 will be solved soon I hope!

Regards
Vladimir