Registration Data Storing

Post here messages if you have any problems with working of Enigma Protector
rconn

Registration Data Storing

Post by rconn »

I'm having trouble with Enigma saving the registration key file.

If I select "%DEFAULT FOLDER%", and only provide a filename (no path -- for example, "t_key.dat"), no key file is created. If I include a path (for example, "\key\t_key.dat") then the key file is created in "c:\key\t_key.dat").

But I want the key file to be in the same directory as the protected module -- which the help says is possible by selecting "%DEFAULT FOLDERS%". Is there a way to do this?

Rex Conn
JP Software
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Registration Data Storing

Post by Enigma »

Rex, I tested Enigma right now to repeat your problem and I did not find any mistake. Protected file had been registered and license file had been created -no any errors. I used the same options as you.

The problem seems is because your root folder of disk c: is write protected and Enigma can't create license file there. But you application installs to the root folder of disk c:\ ?

There will not be problems if you move file to, for example, program files folder. Note, that some folders are write protected by Windows!
rconn

Post by rconn »

Is the "%DEFAULT FOLDER%" option supposed to be creating the key file in the same directory as the protected file? It is definitely not doing that here (Vista SP1); in fact the key file doesn't appear to be created anywhere. I'm specifying both registry & file system, and %DEFAULT FOLDER%. The directory is not protected, and is "\release\version10", not the root, \Windows, or \Program Files directories (which are protected in Vista).

The return value from EP_RegCheckAndSaveKey is successful, and the key is saved in the registry, but no key file is created. Restarting the app gives the unregistered message.

If I change the save location to "%My Documents FOLDER%", then the key file *is* saved in the documents directory, and restarting the app shows the registration. (Unfortunately, this doesn't do me any good since my users want to put the key file on a usb stick.) I tried moving the key file to the same directory as the protected file and specifying "%DEFAULT FOLDER%" again, but it starts up unregistered again. (So creating my own key file in the program's directory won't work either.)

Any ideas?

Rex Conn
JP Software
rconn

Post by rconn »

OK, if I assume that %DEFAULT FOLDER% is simply the root directory and I provide a path to the folder where the protected module is located, then the key file is created and the registration is successful. But I cannot move that installation to a USB stick and have it work on another system.

When you say in the help that %DEFAULT FOLDER% is the "folder where the protected module is placed", do you mean that Enigma will detect the directory of the protected module and put the key file there (which is what I need), or that I need to put the protected module into the relative directory specified in the %DEFAULT FOLDER% argument? (The latter is useless, as there isn't any way for me to know where the user is going to put the file!)

To reiterate what I'm looking for: I want to allow the user to either use the registry to save their key (90% of my users), or to put a key file in the same directory as the protected file (on a USB drive) and move it from machine to machine and still it recognized as a registered version. Possible?

Rex Conn
JP Software
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Ok Rex, really, I never noticed the error about you are telling, and moreover, nobody from user did not notice this yet... I will test this feature out on Vista and will reply you here.

Next, could you please send me your project file on support@enigmaprotector.com I will review this, maybe somewhere in project settings there are "mistakes".

Also, regarding saving keys to USB, in next version I will make additional API that will allow to Save and Load registration info from user-defined paths, for example:
EP_RegLoadKeyFromPath(char* Path, char* Key, char* Name)
EP_RegSaveKeyFromPath(char* Path, char* Key, char* Name)
- something like this...

By the way, Rex, you can manually Load and Save keys (to any path, with any format), you only need to use EP_RegCheckKey function, this is good way too.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Is the "%DEFAULT FOLDER%" option supposed to be creating the key file in the same directory as the protected file? It is definitely not doing that here (Vista SP1); in fact the key file doesn't appear to be created anywhere. I'm specifying both registry & file system, and %DEFAULT FOLDER%. The directory is not protected, and is "\release\version10", not the root, \Windows, or \Program Files directories (which are protected in Vista).
Rex, only now I've understood where is the problem, there was a huge bug in Enigma that appeared in registration data storing WHEN protected file was executed in CMD shell. For now, this bug is solved, new version will come very soon!