Persistent changes to virtual registry

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Stephen Leibowitz

Re: Persistent changes to virtual registry

Post by Stephen Leibowitz »

I think my objective is the same as gemisigo’s. Many applications allow a user to set preferences inside the application that are persistent from session to session. If the preferences are stored by the application in an ini/config file, it seems Enigma Virtual Box can handle that. But if the preferences are only stored in the virtual registry, they would not be persistent. It appeared to me that the change in Version 7.10 was a start, and could be built upon to achieve the persistence of preferences stored in the virtual registry.

By the way, there was a discussion about Enigma Virtual Box at The Portable Freeware Collection:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums ... lit=enigma

I think comments #14 - 16 are relevant to the persistence issue. By the way, tproli wrote comment #15. He is the author of the highly regarded yaP program.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Stephen Leibowitz wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 am I think my objective is the same as gemisigo’s. Many applications allow a user to set preferences inside the application that are persistent from session to session. If the preferences are stored by the application in an ini/config file, it seems Enigma Virtual Box can handle that. But if the preferences are only stored in the virtual registry, they would not be persistent. It appeared to me that the change in Version 7.10 was a start, and could be built upon to achieve the persistence of preferences stored in the virtual registry.
We are development an exchancement to the system that will keep changes, that application does in virtual content to some file, so all changes will be re-read on file restart. The problem of such feature is that it is rather slow. If the feature is enabled, the packed file becomes to work much slower. This could be invisible for some applications, but much critical for others.

For now, if you wish some registry keys/values to be kept between sessions, I recommend you to mark these virtual keys as real. In this case, when app will write to these keys, information will be written to real registry.

Right click on the key and select Virtualization to Real:
realreg.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GloriaBlack

Post by GloriaBlack »

In very rare cases, you cannot use them – in that case solution is a bit more complicated and I don’t want to go into technical discussion (as it would be article on its own), but generally you need to do following:

1.) Mount hive during startup

2.) Implement your registry settings in this custom hive file

3.) Implement REG_LINK registry type to redirect the data