Saving Virtual storage changes issue

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Psycho-A

Saving Virtual storage changes issue

Post by Psycho-A »

The new 10.0 feature is what many have been waiting for. But there is one behavior that may not suit everyone.

When we specify the root folder to save (for example, %Application Data%), and specify the application subfolder in it, files that don't belong to this app also get into the boxed app storage. For example, in 5 minutes of work, the files "gdpifntcache.dat" and the "NVidia/GLCache" folder were recorded in the virtual AppData folder storage. I tried to play around with the folder isolation settings, but it didn't help.

As I understand it, if we work for a long time in the boxed application in parallel with others, then a lot of garbage is eventually collected in the root folder! I think it is more correct to take into account the "New files and folders become real" setting, and if it is enabled, then don't write any changes to the app storage within the current folder level. Or behave like is for registry keys, making each dir level to be "Real" or "Virtual".
Psycho-A

Re: Saving Virtual storage changes issue

Post by Psycho-A »

Another issue that I noticed in the new feature. If the program data is supposed to be read from %default folder% (the folder where the packaged exe is located), and saving virtual data changes is enabled, then the application stops seeing all physical files, and tries to read them from "Data\%DEFAULT FOLDER%\" instead (the folder I specified to save the virtual storage). Although these files even didn't packed with the app I made. When program is trying to write new files, it tries to write them to a local folder as intended - but after restarting it doesn't read them at all, but the copy of that file with zero-size appears in "Data\%DEFAULT FOLDER%\". It keeps to be 0 bytes even if I try to re-save changes. As a result - all physical files that not included to app, will never be readable. At the same time, as soon as I turn off virtual data saving in EVB project, then everything is fine.

I think need either exclude %default folder% from saving virtual data altogether with physical, preferring only the real folder - or fix this behavior somehow...