Create a portable version of an old x86 game

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Plip

Create a portable version of an old x86 game

Post by Plip »

Hi,
I don't know anything about VB, I tried to read a few posts but it just confuses me more.
What I want to do is, I believe, quite basic so maybe there's something I don't get.
I want to make a portable version of Civilization 3, an old x86 game. Something I can copy on a pen drive an carry around to play on any PC without previous installation.
I selected the main exe, which is not in the first "root" folder, but in a sub-folder (it's an expansion of the original game, conquests). I selected an output exe file, got a huge 7gb file (same size as original games's folder). Then added the whole root folders (add folder recursive), launched it and got a "can't open this file" from win 10, or something like this.
Maybe something is wrong with exe/folder selection ?
Also, am I really supposed to play the game from a 7gb file ? It's probably gonna need a lot of RAM to launch, even on a recent PC...
Thanks for answering !
Philippe
jessielesbian

Re: Create a portable version of an old x86 game

Post by jessielesbian »

There is a maximum EXE file size limit of 4 gigabytes. You can enable compression and see if it helps.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

To make the exe smaller, you can put most of the files into separate package file using Packaging feature.
So your exe will be small, but the packaging file big, contains all the virtual files.
jessielesbian

Post by jessielesbian »

You can compress your EXE with UPX before packing it!