Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Disco Makberto

Virtualizing DLL files only?

Post by Disco Makberto »

Hi, readers & users!

If you go to this page:

http://enigmaprotector.com/en/aboutvb.html ,

you can read, in part:

"With Enigma Virtual Box, you can virtualize any types of files, dynamic libraries (*.dll), ActiveX/COM objects (*.dll, *.ocx), video and music files (*.avi, *.mp3), text files (*.txt, *.doc), etc."

My question is, is it possible to virtualize dll files only without ending up with an .exe that bundles everything? I am not sure, but I believe that this is not possible with "Enigma Virtual Box"; if that is the case, would it be then possible to unpack the resulting .exe (that bundles everything), and get from there the virtualized dll files?

Thank you,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto

P.S.: Just in case, if you know of any software that can virtualize dll files only, please be so kind to post to the forum (:
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Virtualizing DLL files only?

Post by Enigma »

Hi Carlos,

It is possible to pack the dll files into one dll bundle, so there will be a DLL core instead of EXE, you will embed multiple dll files to one main dll. However, such method has many limitations, and not all the files will work in this case. For example, if you build such virtualized dll, and it exe will call this dll dynamically, then in most cases it will crash the process. Exe should call such librtary statically, through import directory.

As regarding extracting virtual files - EVB does not provide any security, and we have seen tools that allows to extract these files. So yes, crackers may extract these files.
Disco Makberto

Post by Disco Makberto »

Dear Mr. Enigma,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you saying that it is possible to virtualize the DLL files only if I use at least 2 of them? Thus, is it correct to assume that just 1 DLL file cannot be virtualized?

I appreciate your advice as it pertains to the requirement of the main EXE to call these virtualized DLL files statically.

Take care,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

As far as I understand, you have:
- an exe file that you do not wish to pack
- a set of dll files that you would like to merge to one file.

Is my concept right?

If the previous is correct, and if you have just one dll, what is the purpose to pack it separately, just can't understand that. This does not make sense for me.
Disco Makberto

Post by Disco Makberto »

Hello again, Mr. Enigma!

There was a program that I wanted it to be self-contained, so I added some physical DLL files to the folder of the main EXE (I don't remember if I added 1 DLL file or more than 1 DLL file). I confirmed that the program was working on some computers. However, on some different computers, there were some DLL conflicts. One night I thought: "What about if I virtualize these DLL files that go along with the main EXE, assuming that it is possible to virtualize DLL files? Perhaps the program would work more broadly then". Afterwards, I came here to post.

Of course, as you are kindly pointing out on one or your posts, this method has some limitations. Even so, I am more than happily willing to try (:

Kindest regards,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

OK, seems I got the idea, but unfortunately, the direction you choose is not looking right.

Your initial program (the exe file you built from beginning) that had incompatibilities with different systems is a right choice really. You do not have to virtualize dll files separately, you just need to figure out why there are incompatibilities with your initial project, why it does not work on some systems.

So I recommend you do the following:

1. First of all, make sure that your NON packed application works on all computers and there is no incompatibilities from the application side. We often get complains that some packed application does not work, but developers do not even test the non packed version, usually non packed does not work there also.

2. If #1 is OK, send us non packed application with .evb project file at support@enigmaprotector.com with the instructions how to run it. We will test it out and let you know the way to pack it.
Disco Makberto

Post by Disco Makberto »

Dear Mr. Enigma,

Thank you for all your support.

If I find the program within a reasonable time, there is a good chance I will send it to you. You see, I literally have dozens of flash drives and hard drives with all types of computer-related stuff, but all disorganized, unfortunately. One way or another, I still thank you for your offer.

All the best,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi Carlos, ok, having these files would be a good case for testing. Send the files at support@enigmaprotector.com