Project details and already signed EXE

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
Zilo

Project details and already signed EXE

Post by Zilo »

3 Questions

1.)
In Project details I entered a name and the description of my application. It's because to recognize better for me to detect if my exe is already protected or not.

But in the final exe (the protected one) I can not see this information. Is there a special flag I must set for this feature?

2.)
Somethimes I sign my exe before starting the enigma protector - Result is: The final exe is not protected.

Question: Is there a Flag like "Warn, if the exe is already signed" or something like that? So the enigma Protector will be tell me, "Exe is signed, please use the not signed exe + MAP-File for protection"...

3.)
It is allowed/possible to insert one or more "DECRYPT_ON_EXECUTE_..." in the same procedure, that will already VM by MAP-Function-Selecting? And does that make sense?
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Project details and already signed EXE

Post by Enigma »

Hi Zilo,
Zilo wrote:1.)In Project details I entered a name and the description of my application. It's because to recognize better for me to detect if my exe is already protected or not.But in the final exe (the protected one) I can not see this information. Is there a special flag I must set for this feature?
Project description can be used just to remind what this project is for, or to add some project specifics/details. This information is not used for protection, it does not affect on protection, and never being embeded into protected exe.
Zilo wrote:2.)Somethimes I sign my exe before starting the enigma protector - Result is: The final exe is not protected.Question: Is there a Flag like "Warn, if the exe is already signed" or something like that? So the enigma Protector will be tell me, "Exe is signed, please use the not signed exe + MAP-File for protection"...
Do you mean signing exe with digital certificate? If so, then signing should be done after protection ONLY. Sign does not make sense if it is made before protection.
Also, protector does not warn about that just because signed file can be successfully protected (sign does not affect on protection), but the signature will be invalid after protection.
Zilo wrote:3.)It is allowed/possible to insert one or more "DECRYPT_ON_EXECUTE_..." in the same procedure, that will already VM by MAP-Function-Selecting? And does that make sense?
That's impossible to do. Any marker inside virtual function will be ignored. Moreover, instead of any other kind of marker I recommend you to use code virtualization instead, as it is most modern and powerful protection method.

There is also some limitation for markers (except VM marker) for Visual Basic programs. Due to specific of VB compiler, processing some markers may cause protected program to crash. If such case is found by protection, you will see a WARNING regarding "initialization data in the marker", so it would be better and more safe to use only code virtualization.
Zilo

Post by Zilo »

THX! :D

> so it would be better and more safe to use only code virtualization.
Do I understand you correctly? If I protect a procedure/function by functions-Selecting incl. Map-File, the text strings inside a procedure/function are already hidden from the eyes of a "hunter"? Added to this is the protection that code of the procedure or function runs virtualized. Correct?
Zilo

Post by Zilo »

If I protect a procedure/function by functions-Selecting incl. Map-File, the text strings inside a procedure/function are already hidden from the eyes of a "hunter"? Added to this is the protection that code of the procedure or function runs virtualized.

---> What I mean is, if I run virtualized, the code inside is also crypted? (like DECRYPT_ON_EXECUTE)

Correct?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Zilo wrote:If I protect a procedure/function by functions-Selecting incl. Map-File, the text strings inside a procedure/function are already hidden from the eyes of a "hunter"?
No, this feature protects only the code, not the strings that are being used inside this code. Btw, I do not recommend you to use Decrypt on Execute markers, this kind of markers will be soon moved to deprecated, please use VM Markers instead to apply maximum protection.

To hide strings I recommend you to use Protected Strings feature.