Virtual machine: .map file

Post here messages if you have any problems with working of Enigma Protector
iaanus

Virtual machine: .map file

Post by iaanus »

Hi,

I was trying to use the virtual machine in 1.63 (but the issue may occur even in previous versions). If I don't have a .map file, the function list only contains the function addresses, it's not practically usable, but at least it works. However, if I provide a .map file, I get this error:
Access violation at address 005466F0 in module 'Enigma.exe'. Read of address 02206E70.
In case it's useful: the exe is written in C++ with heavy use of templates, so there are a lot of symbols in the map with 800+ characters in their name.
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Virtual machine: .map file

Post by Enigma »

Yes, it seems may occurs, again, send me (at support@enigmaprotector.com) please your file and map file, any bugs will be solved soon.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Yes, really, there was a limitation in Enigma that maximum length of function in MAP file could not exceed 767 symbols... Problem is now solved. 1.64 version will be bug fixed. My apologies...
iaanus

Post by iaanus »

I actually noticed that a few symbols down several template instantiation levels can easily reach 1500+ characters. However, most of them are related with EH stack unwinding, so virtualizing those functions is not very useful. So if it's too much of a hassle to keep such long symbols, truncation might be an option.

If I can add a feature to the wish list, C++ symbols should be undecorated in the GUI. C++ symbols are easily recognized because the first character is a question mark (?) and the undecorated version can be obtained by calling the WinApi function UnDecorateSymbolName from Dbghelp.dll.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

I actually noticed that a few symbols down several template instantiation levels can easily reach 1500+ characters.
Yes, thanks for the advice, really, I already solved this issue. String maybe any chars length now. And regarding formating, I had the same thoughts that long function names are little non useful and wrote a little function for "undecorating" such long functions. The decision appeared to be very easy, while reading the function name Enigma misses all characters except digits, letters, symbols _ and . Now, VM functions for C++ looks very good!
However, most of them are related with EH stack unwinding, so virtualizing those functions is not very useful. So if it's too much of a hassle to keep such long symbols, truncation might be an option.
Regarding this I have good news too, next version of Enigma VM will fully support SEH! Already done about 70% of work, so hope that after a week or 2 new version will be released!
iaanus

Post by iaanus »

Enigma wrote:
I actually noticed that a few symbols down several template instantiation levels can easily reach 1500+ characters.
Yes, thanks for the advice, really, I already solved this issue. String maybe any chars length now. And regarding formating, I had the same thoughts that long function names are little non useful and wrote a little function for "undecorating" such long functions. The decision appeared to be very easy, while reading the function name Enigma misses all characters except digits, letters, symbols _ and . Now, VM functions for C++ looks very good!
However, most of them are related with EH stack unwinding, so virtualizing those functions is not very useful. So if it's too much of a hassle to keep such long symbols, truncation might be an option.
Regarding this I have good news too, next version of Enigma VM will fully support SEH! Already done about 70% of work, so hope that after a week or 2 new version will be released!
These are really good news! You are amazing. Enigma is getting better and better. Thanks!