lkalam wrote:Our software has been protected with Enigma 5.20 (upcoming versions will be protected with 5.4).
Even though that's the case, there continue to be many antivirus products which falsely identify it as unsafe and/or virus software because of Enigma, even though the Taggant system is active.
What do you recommend we do to avoid these false positive detections?
Hi, first of all, we would recommend you to check what antiviruses cause such false detections. Taggant system is being used by major antivirus comapnies, I believe that some minor vendors still do not use it. As for my opinion, if file is detected by minor AV vendor, there is no need to worry, this detection will be gone same way as it appeared.
Otherwise, if your file is detected by famouse vendor, like Kaspersky, this is a bad signal.
In this case, the first steps you have to do:
1. Make sure your non protected files are not infected by some virus, try to check unprotected file with this antivirus. If you shared the infected and protected file, your license will be blocked as it violates with the license agreements, and also all files protected with your license will be marked as virus.
2. Make sure that your license had not been used bu 3rd vendors, or it was stolen and abused. In this case, the baheviour will be the same as in #1.
3. Make sure you do not use virus technologies inside your product. Eg, if you protect the keylogger (or you are using windows/keyboard hook technology), even if the product does not serve for malicious purpose, such software will be blocked by antiviruses.
If you are sure the file is clean, however you have false detections from trusted antivirus vendors, you may follow these steps:
1. Digitally sign the protected file with code signing certificate. This not only increase the trust level for your application, but will also help to avoid false detections.
2. Report a false detected file to antivirus developers and ask to fix the problem (some instructions are there http://www.softwareprotection.info/2011 ... -to-solve/
). Usually they help very quickly, and they also could whitelist your taggant license for future use.