Can Enigma solve this?

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
JeffT

Can Enigma solve this?

Post by JeffT »

Im interested in Enigma as I have a need to bundle an app designed for Windows 9x and XP
Under Windows 7 and 8, it struggles due to UAC and permissions: it uses WritePrivateProfile etc to create and use INI files.
Under Win7/8 these are virtualised and often fail to update.
And it creates files in it's own folder, which is a no-no these days too.

The original source code isn't available in order to modify the ini file location.

So Im wondering if I use Enigma, will it virtualise enough of an environment to allow these kind of ini and registry settings to work in peace and quiet, yet still allow the EXE to be able to browse for pictures or files on the user's main C: drive?

Thx in advance for anyone who has the time to answer that for me!
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Can Enigma solve this?

Post by Enigma »

Hi Jeff,

The main problem in our products for your case is that paked application will be able to write values into virtual files and virtual registry, but after application restart these changes will be discarded. Is it acceptable for you?

Btw, if your application read/writes files in own folder, then you may just install it into Documents folder where UAC does not take effect.
JeffT

Re: Can Enigma solve this?

Post by JeffT »

Btw, if your application read/writes files in own folder, then you may just install it into Documents folder where UAC does not take effect.
:) Already doing that.
Its the virtualised ini files and registry which is proving a problem.

Thanks for your answer!