Generating MAP file for Visual Basic applications

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
Enigma
Site Admin

Generating MAP file for Visual Basic applications

Post by Enigma »

Here is a stuff how to create MAP file (MAP file is using for Virtual Machine, it contains a list of functions of your module) for applications written in Visual Basic, I recommend to use Virtual Machine feature as more as possible, because it helps to obfuscate original code of application and makes it impossible to analyse.

Please note that all information below is related to Visual Basic 6.0, it will not work with any kind of .net VB applications!

First of all, you should have the source code of application, in the final step you will have to recompile your application.

Let's start:
1. Download attached link.zip file, unzip it, there is a file "link.exe"
2. We have to replace this link.exe with the other one placed in Visual Basic folder
2.1 Go to the folder where Visual Basic is installed on your system, i have it there "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\"
2.2 Find there file with the name "link.exe"
2.3 Rename this file to "link1.exe", it is important to rename only with such name!
2.4 Copy our unzipped file link.exe to this folder (to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\")
That's all!

How try to open your project in Visual Basic and compile an exe, in the same folder with compiled exe you will find generated MAP file.

Take a look at the attached files again, here is another archive link_test_map.zip, there is a link.map file, this is a map file for link.exe, just for your information!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scorillo

Re: Generating MAP file for Visual Basic applications

Post by scorillo »

I tested enigma v 1.61 demo with vb6 map file and show error in module enigma.+
The .map file is in the same director and original link.exe is renamed in link1.exe

This error apear when i check "Enable virtual machine"
?????
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi,
I tested enigma v 1.61 demo with vb6 map file and show error in module enigma.+
The .map file is in the same director and original link.exe is renamed in link1.exe

This error apear when i check "Enable virtual machine"
I agree, this error could appear, because 1.61 DEMO had a bugs with Virtual Machine (1.61 contains old Virtual Machine). VM was fully remade in the latest releases. Information of this topic, mainly, is relating to 1.66+ versions (1.66 is already available for registered customers), because only since 1.66 Enigma support VB Seh handlers, that are common part of almost any VB function.
testuye

Post by testuye »

thanks
blackwatr

Post by blackwatr »

i realize this is an old post but for those whom care, you can create a system environment variable named 'LINK' with the value '/MAP' and force the default link.exe to output map files without needing to rename it and use this provided exe ;)
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

blackwatr wrote:i realize this is an old post but for those whom care, you can create a system environment variable named 'LINK' with the value '/MAP' and force the default link.exe to output map files without needing to rename it and use this provided exe ;)
Thanks for useful information!