Disabling registration entirely?

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
VA1

Disabling registration entirely?

Post by VA1 »

Hello,

I'm a small time coder and use the Enigma Protector to protect (heh) my applications, but I'm not interested on its registration features - I only want to use it to pack my executables so that no one else can edit them with a hex editor and claim them as their own work. As it stands right now, I'm forced to choose between using the registry, file system or both to store the registration information (a feature of Enigma I'm not even using), but it is not my intention to tinker with users' registries or place hidden files on their system.

Is there a way to avoid that?

Thank you very much in advance.
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Disabling registration entirely?

Post by Enigma »

Hi,

The process is pretty simple, if you do not use registration features, then it is no difference what options are set in all REGISTRATION FEATURES pages. You may keep these settings by default.

To explain more detailed, there are 2 ways how to use registration:
1. Using registration Enigma API to check registration info
2. Using Registration Dialog feature in REGISTRATION FEATURES (and options Execute Only If Registered on Common panel)
If you do not use any of these 2 options, this means you do not use registration features.
VA1

Post by VA1 »

Hey Enigma,

firstly, thanks for replying!

Secondly,
2. Using Registration Dialog feature in REGISTRATION FEATURES (and options Execute Only If Registered on Common panel)
I have always unticked the checkbox you mention for my projects, but my concern is that even if I do that, a registry key (as per the Registration Features -> Registration Data Storing settings) is still created when running my protected executables.

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Enigma Protector\F177dxxxxxxxxxxx-b1f2xxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't want that to happen, so is there any way to avoid it?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi VA1,

The registry branch you wrote is using to store some system information, this is not a registration info and so on.

Let me to make the functionality of this information as a secret, but fyi, it is using for some features of Enigma Protector that are always enabled.

So, it is impossible fully disable this information.

Just curious, how does it affect on your functionality?
VA1

Post by VA1 »

Enigma wrote:The registry branch you wrote is using to store some system information, this is not a registration info and so on.

Let me to make the functionality of this information as a secret, but fyi, it is using for some features of Enigma Protector that are always enabled.

So, it is impossible fully disable this information.
Oh, I see. Wasn't aware of that.
Just curious, how does it affect on your functionality?
It doesn't, really. I thought it didn't do anything and so wanted to avoid having it placed in my users' registries. However, now I know those keys are necessary for Enigma to work correctly, then I have no intention of avoiding or deleting them.

Thanks for letting me know about this!
elore

Post by elore »

The registry branch you wrote is using to store some system information, this is not a registration info and so on.
Hm... Sorry, just found this topic.

I'm producing "portable" software and this issue affects me very seriously. Portable software cannot change anything in the system outside its folder where it's stored.

Is it possible to disable such changes in the registry?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

elore, please do not worry about the portability, your application will be working well. This is impossible to fully disable these changes, because this would be well for your application but will be a pain for many existing.

Also very curious why are you worrying so..?
elore

Post by elore »

I'm worry because if I mark my application as portable then my users are testing it and if they find that my application is changing the registry, then I will have very negative feedback that the application is not really "portable". This is really important. :(
Last edited by elore on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

No, I disagree with you.

Looks like you are using C++ for development? C++ also uses registry at startup. Delphi using registry at startup. The system itself using registry a lot, for example to write an execution history. Imagine that everything that Enigma does it relating to the same kind.

If you run almost any application with RegMon, you will see that after execution of every application there is writing something to the registry. Why you do not worry about such things also?

If you contact me at support@enigmaprotector.com and explain why you really need this, I'm sure, we could find a solution! Maybe I do not understand some specifics of your application...
elore

Post by elore »

http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app

Portable App Guidelines

A portable app works from any device (USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod, etc)
A portable app works as you move computers and your drive letter changes
A portable app's features continue working as you move computers
A portable app doesn't leave files or folders behind on the PC
A portable app doesn't leave registry entries behind except those automatically generated by Windows
A portable app is optimized for use on removable drives
A portable app doesn't require additional software on the PC
A portable app doesn't interfere with software installed on the PC