Virtual Box usage

Post here any topics that related to Enigma Protector, its functionality, your misunderstanding, offers to improvements etc etc etc
EnigmaUser

Virtual Box usage

Post by EnigmaUser »

Hey, I am a recent member in Enigma Protector which i heared was a great software(no doubt)

Now I heared there a feature which what it does is to launch the executable and the excecutable will launch by its own the Attached files i am adding.

I have tried with virtual box and set it as "Deafult Folder" then i edited new folder and change it into "Program files" .

I wanted my executable to launch the attached files into programfiles for exemple, but after i tried to launch it, it was just loading a bit then nothing appeared..
Maybe i did it wronge so please explain to me how this feature works and if it possible explain about the String protection aswell.

Thanks alot!
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Virtual Box usage

Post by Enigma »

Hi EnigmaUser, nice nickname :)

Now regarding your question. The main mistake in your test is that you are trying to embed an executable file to Virtual Box (but a dll, just exe). Virtual Box does not work to run embeded exe files.

Let me to explain how Virtual Box is working. While protected file is started, Enigma hooks necessary file IO system functions. If program will attempt to load/read etc embeded file, Enigma will hook this and return necessary result. This everything happens within the single process, within the process of protected file.

When any program is trying to run external exe (like in your way), there is created another process, Enigma does not catch this process and Virtual Box will not work there.

The maybe one way to solve this problem - use Always Write to Disk feature for your exe file (this way this exe will be executed, but only disadvantage that the file will be really located on the disk) and Delete Extracted when Exit (so file will be deleted after protected exe exists).

Hope it helps..
EnigmaUser

Post by EnigmaUser »

Thankyou for the answer, I have understood better what Virtual box does so maybe it isnt what i was looking for.

Though I will tell you more specific what did i mean.

I want my executable, for exemple Client.exe (which already has file checking and etc..) to Extract into X folder Additional Files(could be script or dll) While launching it.

I heared this feature is avalible of Extracting additional files while launching the EXE, maybe you could explain me better how it works
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Listen, if you want just hide your files with Virtual Box - it is possible.
If you are protecting Client.exe that is using some script and dll files, then you may add these files to Virtual Box and after protection the protected file will work without having embeded files on the disk. This way Virtual Box is exactly what are you looking for.

I meant if you want to embed another exe into protected exe, and then while run of protected exe also run embeded exe - it is impossible.

But, if you do not want just hide embeded files, if you want these files to be extracted while executing of protected file, then do the following:
1. add all necessary files to Virtual Box
2. edit each file and change "Never Write to Disk" option to "Always Write to Disk".
EnigmaUser

Post by EnigmaUser »

Thank you very much, it works! :D

I will post if i have anymore questions ;)

thanks again
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Ok, glad to help :)
EnigmaUser

Post by EnigmaUser »

Last question by the way, About protection string

I See there id Unique id,Key and Value.

Though i didnt understand completly how it works, it generates the id and key by its own ? so which values does it checks and how.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Protected Strings is a feature for developers who is able to modify sources code of application and compile it.

Imagine, developer writes a trial application and decided to limit usage of this software my few executions. He embeds the code that checks the number of trial executions and if the number has exceeded some value then program shows a message like "Your Trial Has Expired.". This case cracker may find this string (just in memory dump) and near this find a code that process trial checkup and patch it. Protected Strings feature had been made for hiding of such strings. The protected string never present in memory, when it is necessary, developer calls EP_ProtectedString Enigma API and get this string in buffer.

So cracker will not find the "weak" string because it is hidden.
scorillo7

Post by scorillo7 »

EnigmaUser wrote:Last question by the way, About protection string

I See there id Unique id,Key and Value.

Though i didnt understand completly how it works, it generates the id and key by its own ? so which values does it checks and how.
There's example in the enigma folder.

Let's make it simple. Many software are craked based on the strings that say "Registration Succesfull" or something like that , by replacing the jumps before registration rutine(the weak registrations).So enigma has a clever aproach by masking the strings.

Instead of writing in code "reg succesful" you have this Qzlyf8J6
Enigma decrypt the strings by 2 method : by ID or by key
EP_ProtectedStringByID
EP_ProtectedStringByKey

(it even let you control that names or ID's .)

so ... every string from project file must corespond to the one in your code project.

For more check the example,is not a nuclear fusion to understand.

Respect

Later edit:
Vladimir is much faster than me :),great support!
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Thanks scorillo7, exactly :)