Registration Issues

Post here messages if you have any problems with working of Enigma Protector
codix

Registration Issues

Post by codix »

Every now and then we have a customer who can't register his license because inadvertently he enters/pastes trailing or leading whitespaces into the registration name field of the reg dialog, which surprisingly aren't trimmed away for the validation.

Since this can avoid completely unneccessary customer frustration easily, I'd like to suggest adding a trailing/leading whitespace trim before the license data is validated. I would consider that best practice for string handling anyway and it only costs a few lines of extra code.
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Registration Issues

Post by Enigma »

Hi, unfortunately, we do not want to add this feature yet. Many customers are using custom information in registration name and spaces could make sense.

It would be more correct to fix this from your end. You can create a registration form yourself and check the license info by using Enigma API EP_RegCheckAndSaveKey/EP_RegCheckAndSaveKeyW, there you can do a string trim yourself.
Does it help?

PS: if you are using standard registration dialog, we could add a property for reg. info field to trim spaces.. Maybe in future.
codix

Post by codix »

Just to clarify: What I meant are inadvertently added spaces BEFORE or AFTER the name, not within the name.

Currently something like " John Doe" or "John Doe " does not work because of the space as first respectively last character. I'm pretty sure that absolutely noone uses or wants the first or last character of a registration name to be a space.

It's rather unusual to not remove such spaces. That's why almost all programming languages have Trim() functions which should always be used when processing user input strings.
Ilya

Post by Ilya »

codix wrote:Just to clarify: What I meant are inadvertently added spaces BEFORE or AFTER the name, not within the name.

Currently something like " John Doe" or "John Doe " does not work because of the space as first respectively last character. I'm pretty sure that absolutely noone uses or wants the first or last character of a registration name to be a space.

It's rather unusual to not remove such spaces. That's why almost all programming languages have Trim() functions which should always be used when processing user input strings.
Create your registration dialog with the required behavior.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

What is the problem to create own reg. dialog, can you please clarify? Do you use standard registration dialog?
codix

Post by codix »

Yes, I could of course use a custom dialog. On the other hand adding 10 lines of code that are rather standard when handling user input strings would solve this potential pitfall for all your customers (and their customers). Probably wouldn't cost you more time than discussing this here...

There certainly is absolutely no use case where someone actually would want a space to be the first or last character of a name.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Maybe it makes sense. Contact support and we provide you a version with this fix.