Shim error after protecting DLL's

Post here messages if you have any problems with working of Enigma Protector
Deancooper

Shim error after protecting DLL's

Post by Deancooper »

Hi, we just started using Enigma (version x64 5.10), and everything works if I only protect my app's EXE file, but if I also protect any of the three DLL's we use, then running the protected app generates a "This application could not be started" message and sends me to this webpage about SHIM errors: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2715633

The EXE is a .NET 4.5 C++ executable while the DLL's are all native mode C++. I tried various options in Enigma, even turning off as much protection as I could, but nothing seems to fix the issue. I am running Window 7.

Interestingly, a colleague can run our app with the protected DLL's on his Windows 10 system with no problem. What else can I try? What might the problem be?

Thanks.
Deancooper

Re: Shim error after protecting DLL's

Post by Deancooper »

We got around this problem by not protecting the DLL's separately, but by bundling them in with the EXE (using Enigma to do that). That fixed another problem we were seeing where we could get prompted by Enigma dialogs multiple times (once for the EXE and once for each DLL).