Enigma and Behavior of App Driver

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
Disco Makberto

Enigma and Behavior of App Driver

Post by Disco Makberto »

Hi, there!

This is my first post (:

I am considering virtualizing a portable application via Enigma Virtual Box, once I learn how to use Enigma properly. Anyway, this portable application injects a driver to the host while it is starting and removes the driver once the application is closed. My question is, if I virtualize this portable application via Enigma, will it behave the same as it pertains to the driver, that is, injecting and removing the driver?

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Enigma and Behavior of App Driver

Post by Enigma »

Hi Carlos,

The drivers virtualization is not supported by Enigma Virtual Box. Drivers technology is too complex and too specific to support it.

I recommend you some another way. You may virtualize the driver as a file, then when you need to inject it, you may extract the file to the real system from virtual (just copy the file to some real location) and then inject it. Such method will work (it is possible, of course, if you can make changes to application source code).
Disco Makberto

Post by Disco Makberto »

Hello, Enigma!

Thanks for your kind reply.

>I recommend you some another way. You may virtualize the driver as a file, then when you need to inject it, you may extract the >file to the real system from virtual (just copy the file to some real location) and then inject it. Such method will work (it is possible, >of course, if you can make changes to application source code).

But I think this is what the portable application does, sort of. The application sends the driver to the host and then removes it. If I virtualize the whole portable application, that is, the exe, the extra files, and the driver (the portable application already works without virtualization), will I not be able to inject the driver?

My intention to virtualize this application is to be able to work with it while on memory (as Enigma does send the application to memory) and not while on USB drive.

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Disco Makberto

Post by Disco Makberto »

Just for the record, please let me make myself clear in case I didn't express before as I should have.

I have a portable application that runs on USB drive. This portable application runs with no issues on USB drive. The application also already has a code by virtue of which a driver is installed when the application is started, and this driver is removed when the application is closed. What I would like to do is to virtualize this portable application via Enigma so that I can send it to memory and, for instance, detach the USB drive with no issues. I am talking about something like some mini-linux distros that allow for the OS to be sent to memory and, hence, permitting the removal of the USB or CD that contains this mini-linux distro. I understand that Enigma sends or operates the applications in memory. Can I achieve this with Enigma and my portable application? My concern is the driver...Specifically, if the installation and de-installation of the driver works if I use the portable application on USB, will it behave the same if I use the portable application in memory?

I hope I am making some sense with what I am telling you. Please excuse me if I have a misconception of how things work.

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Disco Makberto

Post by Disco Makberto »

Update:

Luckily, I was able to portabilize the application to achieve my ends via the SFS method. If you want to know more about this method, you can Google it. Such a method is, of course, unrelated to Enigma. On the other hand, while Enigma does not work with applications that make use of drivers, Enigma works beautifully with applications that do not require them. Additionally, once any application works via Enigma, this application can be placed anywhere, even on read-only media, and still be functional.

A short time ago, I was very enthusiastically reading on this forum that Enigma can work with .NET Framework, assuming the registry entries can be identified. This is really great news for people like myself who does not have .NET, for quite some (or more) portable applications don't work without it. Thus, I suppose this means these portable applications can be potentially re-packaged via Enigma using .NET so as to end up with "working" portable applications for people lacking .NET (or for people who, for one reason or another, do not want or cannot install it). The only caveat is how to properly identified the created registry entries...I don't think there is a software that can do this.

Before I close, my big thanks to Mr. Engima for creating and maintaining this wonderful application.

Happy Holidays to all!

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto