Boxed Application Parameter

Issues related to Enigma Virtual Box
rmpf

Boxed Application Parameter

Post by rmpf »

Hi, I just want to know how may I pass some parameters to the exe I want to virtualize???

Ex. I want to virtualize 7zip, how then I can pass parameters to open 7zip if 7zip is not inside the 7zip_Data folder to use the command option????
rmpf

Re: Boxed Application Parameter

Post by rmpf »

This is why I ask.. 7zip was an example but this is one of the apps I'm working on.

TimeLeft:

Understanding where TimeLeft keeps it's files, transferring TimeLeft data to another computer, deploying TimeLeft manually, etc.

1. Files locations
There are 2 sets of TimeLeft files:
1. Program files (main executable files - one set per computer)
2. Data files (settings and options files - *.INI, temporary and log files - for each user).

TimeLeft default files location for Win7: Windows TimeLeft Program files TimeLeft Data files

C:\Program Files\TimeLeft
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\NesterSoft\TimeLeft

Data files location can be overridden by starting TimeLeft with the command line parameter -datafolder <new folder>.
E.g. timeleft.exe -datafolder c:\tl_data starts TimeLeft and uses c:\tl_data folder instead of default location.

So if we want to embed this app we have to alternative:
1) The easy one just embed the app folder and call the boxed with the -datafolder parameter ( timeleft_boxed.exe -datafolder ) but for this is why I'm asking the option to have embed the parameter too...
2) or embed the user folder too but I don't know how
I'll really would appreciate any comment and advice about this. Thanks to Enigma Virtual Box Development team in all your efforts and for an excellent software.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi rmpf,

I think there is some misunderstanding/confusion of how the virtualization works.

So, for the location #1, you need to add a Root Folder in Enigma Virtual Box with the name %ApplicationData Folder%, and add there all files that are originally located in "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\NesterSoft\TimeLeft"

For the location #2 - "C:\Program Files\TimeLeft" you need to use virtual %DEFAULT FOLDER% and put the files there.

I think everything should be working well.
nehaali

Post by nehaali »

Please let me ask you a question. Let's say that I incorporate NET Framework into my application via Enigma so that I can use this application with a computer that do not have NET Framework. And let's suppose that the application runs perfectly with this computer that lacks NET Framework. What would happen if I try to use this application (that has NET Framework integrated into itself) with a different computer that already has NET Framework? Will the application work in spite of the fact that there are two NET Frameworks? Or one NET Framework (the one on desktop) is independent of the other (the one with the app) and hence the application still works
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi nehaali,

The application will still work even if there will be two frameworks, there are no any problem in this case.

And also, the embedded one will use used always, instead of the installed on this computer.