Does Enigma write real files before, after or mid execution?

x64 version issues
_Nexor

Does Enigma write real files before, after or mid execution?

Post by _Nexor »

I'm having trouble packing in a directory. It might be writing the folder before target program runs (expected) but doesn't seem to be writing out the files in that directory. Am I using it wrong or is this by default?

Thanks a ton
Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Does Enigma write real files before, after or mid execut

Post by Enigma »

Hi, can you please let me know about what feature are you talking about? Is it Virtual Box or what? Please provide more detailed description of the problem.
_Nexor

Post by _Nexor »

Yes, I'm talking about Virtual Box. I'm adding a few dlls and they are working. But when my (original) executable runs, it needs a couple of files in %temp% directory to start properly and it might not be doing so.
Last edited by _Nexor on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Do you mean that packed file creates something in temp folder?
_Nexor

Post by _Nexor »

Exactly. But from what I'm seeing, it writes the file after the program has checked if it's there, so the program doesn't find it.

I'm on mobile right now, sorry for the delayed answers.

Want me to post more specific information?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Virtual Box feature is using temporary files to provide the stable work of packed applications.

Please note, these temporary files are just empty files, there is no any file information from original files, and these files do not provide any vulnerability to the system.

If you still want to eliminate such files, you may uncheck the option Virtual Box - Options - Use temporary files. However, without this option some applications may become unstable.
_Nexor

Post by _Nexor »

Ok, so the files actually get written to disk, on a local folder, right?

But do they get written to disk before or after the packed executable runs?

EDIT: From my tests, folders are being created first, then exec runs, then files are created.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Once again, the virtual files are NEVER written to disk if you specify a virtualization method as Never write to disk. The Virtual Box creates some temporary files in TEMP folder only, and these temporary files do not relate to virtual files. Virtual Box is used temporary files in some specific internal functionality. There is usually no connection between file start and when the temp files are created.

I'm just curious why are you interesting in this?
_Nexor

Post by _Nexor »

I want the files to be written to disk. I'm trying to pack a program I use in a daily basis for college to put on my pen-drive. Real handy software! But the files are not being written to the specified folder before the app executes so it's not reading them -- only after it has already executed it is written to disk. Is this by default?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

OK, but you selected a virtualization method as Write to Disk for files, is it right? Only if this kind of virtualization method is selected the files will be written to the disk.

Virtual Box should write files before the execution of main application code starts, so application should read these files as well.

Probably, there are no permissions for application to write to the local folder. Try to copy application to some temp folder and run it, to make sure there is no problem with protection and files are being extracted. If files are extracted in temp folder but do not extract on necessary folder this means that there is a problem with folder permissions, protection just unable to write anything in this folder. If files are not extracted in both cases then there is a problem with protection itself or misconfiguration.