Enigma
Site Admin

Re: Hardware ID Changes Again

Post by Enigma »

:)
Sebastiano

Post by Sebastiano »

UAC at non'standard settings was always an evil. This accords to the wmi and such funcs as DeviceIoControl(), also there was strange UAC rule in vista x64 until KB_dont_remember_patch_num_ that CreateFile() needed admin rights to access some devices even with read_share & generic_read.
So protected application must have admin rights if u r tryn' to access hardware devices. The best ever is the cpuid cmd.
PS: Merry X-Mas for everyone (:lol: хоть нам-то, православным, до него еще ухуху)
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi Sebastiano, that's very interesting. I did not test HDD Serial under Windows Vista, but carefully tested out on Windows 7 x64. I played with UAC (tried to set all possible levels), tried under administrator and guest account, but always got same hardware id.

Just to append your thoughts, I think there may be problems with different versions of Seven/Vista. For example, there could be no problems on Ultimate machines (that I've carefully tested, and did not find any problem), and for example, Home version that Dante has.

Few days ago we also have found some problem, HDD Serial may change on a PCs with multiple HDD, when you eliminate one of HDD. The problem appears because Enigma tries to get serial of PhysicalVolume0, but this volume not always belongs to C:\ partition. Just in doubt what to do now, if we solve this - then, I think, 5-10% of users may get different Hardware Id...

PS: Merry Christmas (С такой работой можно смело начинать праздновать его два раза :) )
DanteAlain

Post by DanteAlain »

Hi here me again-- ;)
Now a just made a video to show this issue, thats only happens in machines with W7 64bits:

Hardware ID changes according if is enabled o disabled UAC:
Testing with only Hard Disk Serial Consider to gen HID:

Check the video:

http://www.mdn.fm/files/287574_bpsmn/enigma.swf
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Hi DanteAlain, can you please tell me, how many HDD disks are installed on your system?
DanteAlain

Post by DanteAlain »

in the pc where i made the video, just one hd with two partitions. Also I've tested in other machines with same result.
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

Can you please attached file for some tests?

If you run it, it will show a set of method that Enigma uses for extracting of HDD Serial and results of these methods.

Make a screenshot of this information window, in two cases (with and without UAC) and send me results.

It will help to determine what method fails.
Attachments
test64_protected.zip
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 1782 times
appypaddy

Post by appypaddy »

How to change hardware id?
Enigma
Site Admin

Post by Enigma »

I think it is not right question on a software protection forum :)
appypaddy

Post by appypaddy »

I've a request regarding hardware ID changed. From last 1 week, i'm having trouble when ever i change any system config. Last week, i put a cristal HD decoder card in my Intel D525, hardware ID changed !!!

today, updated the bios, again Hardware ID changed !!!

Can you put a list of what updates can we do without getting hardware id changed? :roll:

----------------------
Reputation Management|Reputation Management Services|Remove RipOff Reports
Last edited by appypaddy on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.